You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #83678  by pick_six

If i may, i would suggest you become very very familiar with your weapon before OC, agreeing with trapper.

legality aside, being unfamiliar with a weapon is bad news. i've been around them since i was 10 or so, but never much of a "pistol guy". field stripping and cleaning a shotty on a mud flat, sand dune, tree stand or goose pit is not a problem. 3 of 4 moving targets, 30-80 yards in 30 seconds, with one reload, is not a problem. doing this as quickly or proficiently with a pistol, well...

i have applied for my ccw and i am trying to set up for some technique classes for self defense. i think that beyond the required certification class in DE or my new state, knowing how to handle myself and my weapon is my duty. or at least it is in my mind.

pulling a weapon, and being unfamiliar, and whatever else, is bad news. get some training. don't shoot yourself in the leg (you can google it).

and, as one of the instructors in our ccw class noted, carrying open, does kind of give the bad folks an idea of where to find a gun, so you need to be prepared. situational awareness.

but that is just me thinking out loud.
 #83698  by Jonnybow

pick_six wrote:If i may, i would suggest you become very very familiar with your weapon before OC, agreeing with trapper.

legality aside, being unfamiliar with a weapon is bad news. i've been around them since i was 10 or so, but never much of a "pistol guy". field stripping and cleaning a shotty on a mud flat, sand dune, tree stand or goose pit is not a problem. 3 of 4 moving targets, 30-80 yards in 30 seconds, with one reload, is not a problem. doing this as quickly or proficiently with a pistol, well...

i have applied for my ccw and i am trying to set up for some technique classes for self defense. i think that beyond the required certification class in DE or my new state, knowing how to handle myself and my weapon is my duty. or at least it is in my mind.

pulling a weapon, and being unfamiliar, and whatever else, is bad news. get some training. don't shoot yourself in the leg (you can google it).

and, as one of the instructors in our ccw class noted, carrying open, does kind of give the bad folks an idea of where to find a gun, so you need to be prepared. situational awareness.

but that is just me thinking out loud.
And, those are very good thoughts. :applause:
 #84174  by iamdude

Mr.Skellington wrote:Just to clarify about OCing in PA while in a vehicle, one of the listed exemptions to 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 is this:
(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
As I read this a DE CCW permit would make OCing in PA while inside a vehicle a lawful activity. A LTCF would be best but for those who have yet to get one a DE CCW should suffice for exemption purposes. I have been using my DE permit for vehicular OC during short trips that cross into PA for some time now.
I wonder how that applies to a motorcycle, I'm currently 4 1/2 months into the waiting process for my CCDW, and with the weather getting warmer I will be on 2 wheels more often.
 #84407  by Mirlen

iamdude wrote: I wonder how that applies to a motorcycle, I'm currently 4 1/2 months into the waiting process for my CCDW, and with the weather getting warmer I will be on 2 wheels more often.
A vehicle in PA is just about anything that can move you about. Skateboard, motorcycle, bicycle, etc. so all of those would need a permit.
 #84413  by Boots

Mirlen wrote:A vehicle in PA is just about anything that can move you about. Skateboard, motorcycle, bicycle, etc. so all of those would need a permit.
PA law says you cannot have your gun "in" a vehicle. Apparently, PA considers the gun to be concealed if it is anywhere in the vehicle. However, you cannot be "in" a skateboard, bicycle, or motorcycle. IMHO, OC in PA is legal on foot, on a skateboard, on a bicycle, or on a motorcycle.

After studying PA law, and before I received my first license/permit, I OCd in DE and in PA while riding on my motorcycle. Never had a problem anywhere.

IANAL and this is not legal advice, but it worked for me. ;)
 #84451  by Mirlen

1 Pa CSA 1991
"Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried."

I would not recommend OCing in a bicycle or motorcycle etc without a permit. Remember it has nothing to do with concealment.