Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #94796  by phlydude

myopicvisionary wrote:So it's not MOA. The Army standard is roughly 4 MOA. When you say punch paper at 50yards, is it somewhere on a 3' x 3' cardboard or a clay pigeon?
If you are scoped and shooting for precision, having a spread of 3-4" would not be acceptable from a bench rest in my opinion
Open sights, sure, I'll take that any day and for most of us, I'd be willing to bet that their rifles are more accurate than the shooter...
 #94797  by myopicvisionary

Maybe I'm tired and just not getting it. Nobody would be using 55gr. FMJ for precision work. I still don't understand the statement.
I heard its good target stuff but not for sighting in.
 #94798  by twfran

phlydude wrote:I heard its good target stuff but not for sighting in.
After reading this thread again, I see where it may be the choice of terminology that is confusing some of us.

There is definitely a difference between "range ammo" and "match ammo." Perhaps that is the distinction that was being made?

To get back on topic... GunBot pointed me to Selway Armory recently for some ammo at $0.3875 each before shipping. After shipping, it worked out to be around $0.41/each. Shipped fast with no issues. Still a little high relative to the last bulk buy I made (roughly double). Your mileage may vary....
 #96269  by dave_in_delaware

I finally had a chance to visit the Officer's Store near me in Coatesville. Very nice place. They have a nice assortment of accessories (holsters, mag pouches, flashlights, gloves, belts, clothing, etc), body armor and plates, and even ammo! They also have a gun store in the back where they sell pistols and rifles (didn't go inside though).

I picked up some batteries for my Streamlight, and some ammo for the AR (40 rounds). Not a large purchase but it was satisfying.

Ammo I got was: Independence AR 5.56 (made in Israel, imported by Federal) 5.56x45mm, 55 grain FMJ, XM193I, 20 rounds ea box on sale $8.00 (= $0.40/round).

They also had plenty of other ammo in most calibers (45, 380, 40, 9mm). The 5.56 they had in stock was:

Federal XM855 in metal ammo box, 5.56mm 62gr, Steel Core Green Tip, $224.99/500 (= $0.45/round)

Independence (imported by Federal) XM193I, 5.56mm 55gr, FMJ, $195/500 (on sale, = $0.39/round)

Federal AE223G, 5.56mm 50gr, JHP, $231.49/500 (= $0.46/round)

They have other 5.56, but it's even more expensive and labeled for Law Enforcement Use only. Not sure if they'd only sell it to LE (didn't ask).
 #96270  by spillanej

Noticing a lot of discussion about ammo for accuracy and MOA. I have bad news for you. If you can't hit the target, you actually can't blame the ammo... it's you. Go train harder.. shoot 1500 rounds under the watchful eye of a COMBAT instructor and not an NRA instructor and then set that clay pigeon back to 440 yards and hit it with irons on the first shot every time, regardless of your ammo.

If you wanna put up for good ammo, put up for good training instead.. and suddenly every 5.56 does the same thing for you.
 #96275  by myopicvisionary

Wrong. All 5.56mm is not the same. In Service Rifle competition, nobody shoots 55gr. FMJ. Why? Because it is nowhere near accurate all the way out to 600 yards.
 #96276  by SCUBA9097

spillanej wrote:Noticing a lot of discussion about ammo for accuracy and MOA. I have bad news for you. If you can't hit the target, you actually can't blame the ammo... it's you. Go train harder.. shoot 1500 rounds under the watchful eye of a COMBAT instructor and not an NRA instructor and then set that clay pigeon back to 440 yards and hit it with irons on the first shot every time, regardless of your ammo.
Got something against NRA Instructors?
 #96277  by Sodbuster

spillanej wrote:Noticing a lot of discussion about ammo for accuracy and MOA. I have bad news for you. If you can't hit the target, you actually can't blame the ammo... it's you. Go train harder.. shoot 1500 rounds under the watchful eye of a COMBAT instructor and not an NRA instructor and then set that clay pigeon back to 440 yards and hit it with irons on the first shot every time, regardless of your ammo.

If you wanna put up for good ammo, put up for good training instead.. and suddenly every 5.56 does the same thing for you.
A clay pigeon measures four inches in diameter. It would require a rifle capable of .90 MOA accuracy to hit one at 440 yards every time, not allowing for the human variable.

To claim any random AR, firing any random ammo, is that accurate, is ridiculous.
 #96278  by stephpd

For bulk ammo I always check online prices. One of the better sites is here;
http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php

I just recently ordered some. Not 55gr but 62gr.
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/s ... t1758.html

500 rounds for $145.44. Even cheaper if you buy two boxes of 500.
And with shipping it was only $.31 a round for the 500 rounds.

Oops, now sold out. This stuff is still flying off the shelves. I checked the cheapest listed (Tula through J&G Sales and it too is sold out.) But others are still in stock. Like this one, Tula for $.273 a round.
http://www.munireusa.com/223-tula-20-rd-55-gr-fmj-sale/