Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #94851  by Owen

I've started relaoding 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK) recently.

My "process":
- started with .223 brass that I had already deprimed and removed primer crip.
-formed brass in a Hornady 300BLK die w/o expander
- "trimmed" the brass down with a Little Crow Gun Work Worlds Finest Trimmer that I bored over and such to adapt to the 300BLK. It's no longer good for .223 ;)
- after trimming I anealed the brass with a propane torch until it was cherry red at the new neck.
- loaded it up with Hornady 300BLK dies using a 32 auto powder funnel on my 550B (turns out it is the perfect size to fit in the 300 BLK neck and can even be adjusted for bell or no bell :D ) and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
- bough one box of 208 gr Hornady A-Max bullets and put it on top of Hodgdon Lil' Gun with a CCI SRP.

I'm potentially testing tonight in my 16" upper after AP. I built up bullets loaded with from 7.6 - 8.3 gr of Lil' Gun. Hodgdon calls for 8.3 gr max and I usually start at 10% less and build up but I'm leaning toward just the 8+ gr because underloading worries me in such a small volume case. OAL from Hodgdon is 2.260".

Wish me luck!
 #94853  by cj45lc

Well Good Luck then lol

Hope they work out for you

It was nice to meet you last week at the AP
 #94854  by Owen

cj45lc wrote:Well Good Luck then lol

Hope they work out for you

It was nice to meet you last week at the AP
Thanks! It was nice meeting you as well!

I said wish me luck but reloading is really not something I leave to chance.;) I know the rounds wil do bang. It's just how big a bang and if it cycles correctly in my rifle I need to test. I'm always hopeful I can get by with a little less powder for cheaper plinking loads. Although at 8 grains or so powder is not a very big part of cost. Maybe $.03 :lol:
:lol:
 #94860  by cj45lc

Can't blame a fella for trying to get by with a little less powder for a plinking load lol

was also nice to meet you last week Seth

I was gonna try to get up there last Wed or tonite but I have no problem admitting it's just too damn cold for these old bones hahaha
 #94862  by sethinde

It was good to meet you and your daughter. Someday I may be allowed to bring my daughter to the range, but right now it is an off limits subject with my wife. :banghead:

Bringing it up just starts a fight... :sparring:
 #94865  by Owen

The ammo I loaded worked but didn't have enough umph to cycle a second round in. Not a big deal as I'd rather work up onto it anyway. I'll have to make some more hotter loads and try again. So far pretty quiet stuff. Wasn't even as loud as a 9mm.
 #94869  by cj45lc

Owen wrote:The ammo I loaded worked but didn't have enough umph to cycle a second round in. Not a big deal as I'd rather work up onto it anyway. I'll have to make some more hotter loads and try again. So far pretty quiet stuff. Wasn't even as loud as a 9mm.

damn that is really gonna bust the budget...j/k lol
 #94873  by Owen

cj45lc wrote:damn that is really gonna bust the budget...j/k lol
I know right. I may have to put in $.032 worth! :(

:lol:

Fun stuff!
 #94947  by Owen

I was building up some more 300BLK loads and I noticed an odd 'ripple' or bulge in the cases right under the shoulder. It turns out that the bras I annealed was soft a little to far down and actually buckled and shortened when I seated a bullet. :shock: I pulled the bullet out of them and threw the brass out. I'll have to be more careful heating the case necks if I make any more brass. I need to heat them for a shorter time so the heat affected zone is smaller.

Reloading definitely has a lot of opportunities to learn. :D